10 November 2014

Krafty Tips and Tutes #39 - making a tissue box holder





Welcome to another week of Krafty Tips and Tuts here at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps! Each
week one of our fabulous Krafty Girls share a little post with some sort of tip or tutorial
for you and we hope you find them inspirational!!

Hi! Sharon here with you today! .  It's November, and that usually means it's the season where people start reaching for the tissue box more often. I love making tissue box covers, so today I'll be sharing how I make them with you. I used kraft cardstock as a base because I like the strength.  For my box today, I used Nurse Nightingale and Under the Weather. I thought this would make a super cute box to put in a care package for a sick friend or family member.

Cut two pieces of Kraft cardstock measuring 9 1/2" x 5 1/8" inch (this will be the actual box).  Using a trimmer with a score blade or a score board, score these pieces at 1/2" and 5" ( 9 1/2" side goes against the top of your scoring tool)   Adhere the two pieces together to form a box by using a strong adhesive such as Sookwang tape on the 1/2" tabs. Be careful to get them straight.

For the lid, cut another piece of kraft cardstock at  6 9/16" square.  Using an oval die, cut a hole in the center of your lid for access to the tissues.  tip:  If you don't have a die cut machine large enough to fit the lid through it, just use your paper trimmer to cut out a large enough hole that will be bigger than the die cute you'll use on your layering pieces.  Score the lid at 1" on all four sides. Once that is done, you will have four corner pieces, Snip down one side of each corner like this. 

 
Fold and adhere all four corners tabs to make your lid. Then adhere the lid to the box so it's permanently affixed.

Now you get to decorate!! I like layers, so I used both a layer of cardstock and a layer of pattern paper on top. So you would need:

Four pieces of white cardstock cut at 4 1/4" x 4"
Four pieces of pattern paper cut at 4 1/8" x 3 7/8"

Adhere those to each side of the tissue box.

To finish the top of the box you will need:
one piece at 4 1/4" square in white cardstock
One piece at 4 1/8" square in your pattern paper.

Adhere those together and use any pretty die you'd like in the center to cut a hole for your tissues to dispense. Just make sure it's not larger than the hole you cut in your lid base.

You'll also want to decorate the lips of your lid, so cut:

Four pieces of white cardstock measuring 4 1/4" x 3/4"
Four pieces of pattern paper measuring 4 1/8" x 5/8"

I used petite scalloped Nestabilities for the image frames. Choosing the size that fit my tissue box the best, I die cut four white frames using the scalloped die, and four straight edge frames using the kraft cardstock.

Color the images you wish to use. I used Nurse Nightingale and Under the Weather, and then fussy cut them out. I then applied foam tape to the back of the image, the back of the kraft layer, and then also to the back of the white layer. So can you tell I like to add dimension? :)  I don't like having everything exactly square, so I then adhered the image panes to the box base at a little bit of an angle just to mix it up a little. If you do that, be sure not to adhere each of the images going the same way If you tilt one a little to the left, tilt the next one a little to the right.

Feel free to add punched borders, trim, ribbon, anything you'd like!  This is the result of the directions above. I did add a little scalloped border along the bottom side panels.



 
 
 


So do you think these images are a perfect match for a tissue box like I do? If so, you can order them here! Have fun and if you choose to make one, I hope you share it with us!

1 comment: